Attorney Joel A. Goldman
Joel Goldman heads the firm's California office, managing hundreds of complex and high-conflict family law cases as first chair. He brings over five decades of litigation genius to the complex family law cases that are handled day-to-day throughout the Golden State. Joel is a veteran family law and trial lawyer who brings solid and reliable representation to the community of fathers and men that the firm proudly serves. While The Dadvocates primarily focus on fathers and men, Mr. Goldman brings so much more to his clients, handling their divorces while also representing them in all matters that arise throughout their business and professional endeavors that are directly affected by community property and spousal division issues. For example, Joel has handled mergers and acquisitions and commercial litigation for the firm's clients. Mr. Goldman possesses a high level of knowledge in complex financial issues especially within the context of community property. If you have complicated financial issues, Joel is the attorney for you.
Known for his toughness and creativity in and out of court as well as resolving disputes quickly, Joel joined The Dadvocates after working in small and medium-sized firms as well as large national firms. He has extensive experience in a wide array of family law issues and disputes. Some examples of the family law areas that he has handled throughout his career include high-profile and highly publicized divorce and custody matters, domestic violence restraining orders, business valuations and dissolutions, complex estate planning and division, international asset valuation and division, and mergers and acquisitions. Mr. Goldman represents clients in every facet of their family law case, beginning with the first filing of their case all the way to the final property settlement action.
Joel has represented individual clients in countless family law matters and is a veteran of several hundred trials and arbitrations. Mr. Goldman has represented clients in large and complex cases in the California Superior Court and California Court of Appeal. Joel has managed important financial cases, including one matter that included over 200 collateral lawsuits, 30 appeals, and 25 appellate writs, and ended in a victory for his client. Furthermore, he has successfully been able to reach concealed assets for clients far and wide, including one case where the opposing party hid millions in a Cook Islands Trust. Mr. Goldman has successfully handled numerous cases involving bad-faith issues, usually prevailing when his clients are owed community property funds and assets that have been long overdue.
Joel has been selected to act as arbitrator in over one hundred arbitrations for the Los Angeles County Bar Association. Joel is a member of the Beverly Hills Bar Association and Los Angeles Bar Association. Joel is so well-connected in the legal community that with him by your side, there is always an expert nearby at hand to handle your matter competently.
- Family Law
- Complex Civil Litigation
- Commercial Law and Insolvency
- Creditor’s Rights & Remedies
- Litigation Partnership Disputes & Resolution
- Real Estate Workouts
- J.D., University of Southern California, 1967
- B.S., Grinnell College, Economics, 1964
Intercollegiate Athletics- football and track
- Listed, AV-Preeminent Rating from Martindale-Hubbell, 1985 – 2020
- Listed, Southern California Super Lawyer
- Law & Politics, Los Angeles Magazine, 2007 – 2017
- 2023 Martindale-Hubbell Award - Highest Possible Rating in Both Legal Ability and Ethical Standards
AFFILIATIONS AND MEMBERSHIPS
- California Bar Association
- Los Angeles County Bar Association
He has been a professor of Contracts, Legal Reasoning and Ethics at California College of Law.
- One of his most noteworthy cases involved in excess of two hundred collateral lawsuits, approximately thirty-five appeals and/or appellate writs, approximately thirty-eight Chapter 11 cases and ended in a victory for his clients.
- Obtained a defense judgment in a RICO case.
- Obtained defense judgments in insurance bad faith cases.
- Obtained plaintiff’s verdict in an intellectual property case.
- Obtained favorable judgments in disputes between insurance carries.
- Claim and delivered a herd of elephants to the rightful owner.
- Tried and obtained defense judgments in legal malpractice claims.
- Had a post-judgment receiver [appointed] to litigate a judgment debtor’s cross-complaint in the Superior Court.
- Successfully represented officers and trustees to enforce the bylaws of the LACBA relating to an improper attempt to set aside or void its 2017 election.
- Arbitrator on behalf of LACBA in at least 100 attorney/client fee disputes over the past 40 years
- Member, California Bar Association
- Member, Litigation Section, Remedies Section (a Founder and First Chairman) – Los Angeles County Bar Association
- Lectured concerning the use of experts to attorneys, CPAs and other professionals regarding damages and lost profits.
- Numerous lectures, panels and presentations to attorneys and other professionals concerning civil procedure, remedies, and litigation under Article 9 of the UCC.
- Numerous lectures on panels involving pre and post judgment remedies.